The Brown County Historical Society encourages interns in the areas of History, Education, Graphic Design, Exhibit Design, and Non-Profit Management. The Brown County Historical Society is looking for interns who are enthusiastic about sharing their skills while gaining job experience in their area of study.
The Brown County Historical Society’s small size allows for great flexibility for interns. We welcome the opportunity to create a customized program that fits the interests of the intern as well as the needs of the Society. Some examples of internship opportunities include:
- Marketing: Marketing and promotional materials, including posters and rack cards; design a book about Hazelwood Historic House to be sold in our gift shop
- History: Historical research on a variety of topics; historic preservation; program planning, and walking tours.
- Education: Develop and implement educational programs for local schools, home school students, scout groups, outreach programs, and summer camps; ensure current programming follows up-to-date state standards
- Arts Management: Event planning and implementation, grant writing, volunteer recruitment and coordination, neighborhood engagement, and artifact collection management (data entry and photograph collection)
If you are interested in pursuing an internship opportunity with the Brown County Historical Society, please submit a resume and cover letter to Christine Dunbar, Executive Director:
The Brown County Historical Society encourages and welcomes volunteers of all ages to assist in a variety of areas. We could not do all our amazing programs and events without the aide of volunteers.
- Docent: Share your passion for history with the public. Lead tours of Hazelwood Historic House, guide groups at local cemetery programs, and explore the community on architectural walks.
- Special Events: Assist with set up, breakdown, admissions, and food at Cemetery Walks, Road Rally, Haunted Hazelwood, Teas, etc.
- Gardening: Working on the Hazelwood gardens and grounds
- Research: Investigate and write cemetery walk scripts, research & develop educational programs, find trivia for the annual Road Rally, and research potential topics to feature in the quarterly newsletter: The Historical Bulletin.
- Bulk Mailings: Help with Society, Hazelwood and Voyageur mailings
If interested in volunteering at the Brown County Historical Society, please submit your information to Ana Olp, Program Manager & Volunteer Coordinator: